Representing Youself in Family Court

John from Ormskirk asks:

Where can I get advice on representing myself if I want to make an application for increased access to my son?


There are a number of useful resources on the internet.

First let me tell you the ones I have had a hand in, especially as they are local to Liverpool.

The Merseyside Family Justice Council website ( has a handbook for Self Represented Parties which can be accessed here. Download the “Notes for Self Represented Parties”.

Also take a look at the “Making and Application” and the other sections of the “Arguments about Children” pages on this website.

There is also a very good book called “Family Courts without a Lawyer” by Lucy Reed which can be obtained from either in had copy or as an ebook.

That should be more than enough to keep you going. Let me know if there is anything specific you want to ask about.

Bookmark and Share